Monday, September 6, 2010

People do what they know

When my wife and I moved to the town that we live in, it was like going back in time. Small communities are just not as up to date as large cities. It's everything really: how people dress, how people style their hair, the technology people use.

While some of it is comes down to income, the major factor, I believe, is that people in small towns just aren't exposed to modern society. Sure they can see these things on TV or on the internet, but lifestyles and trends are different when you see them with you own eyes. I had this experience the first time I traveled over seas to Thailand. Everything is much more real and impactful when you are there in person. Without people pushing boundaries and bringing in new ideas, small towns remain stuck in a bygone era.

This was made very clear to me when my wife got a haircut this week. My wife has never been very stylish and has always relied on others to guide her to good fashion and style choices and she expected to do the same for this haircut.

When she got home was surprised to see that my wife had been replaced with Bonnie Tyler. The "salon" worker's last job was evidently in the hair department for an 80's music video. I had never expected to see my wife with feathered hair. Thank god her hair still looks good when it is straightened.

No comments:

Post a Comment