Monday, September 27, 2010

Career Questions

I have never been able to get enthusiastic about almost any topic for long periods of time.  This has always been a part of my personality, but I didn't really notice it until college.  When I started at Hopkins, I was a biology major.  But, by the end of my freshman year, I wanted to take too many different courses to stay on the biology track.  Lots of people change majors in college, sure.  But, I didn't switch because I liked something more.  I switched because I liked everything more.  I couldn't make a choice, so I picked a major that allowed me to take the widest variety of classes.  

This pattern continued after college when I went to law school.  Like college, I studied intensely the first year, but then lost focus and enthusiasm on the subject matter.  I added a dual MBA degree to my law program and greatly enjoyed marketing.  

Now, I don't know what to do with my life.  I am not that happy in my work as an attorney and I am thinking about looking for a job in market research.  If I get one, will it really make me happy or will I just end up looking for something else in a few more years?  Working as an attorney, I would likely make much more money in the long-run than working in market research. But, I can't keep changing jobs the rest of my life and expect to get anywhere. And, if I am never going to enjoy what I do for a long period of time, then why not just stay in a job that pays better?  I want to establish a career for myself, but I also want to enjoy what I do.  I have always loved cars and I don't think I will ever get tired of driving.  Maybe I should just become a trucker.

1 comment:

  1. Young Frisky, something must be in that Iowa corn you're having. U r a pimpin attorney, man! U know how many ppl would kill to be u?!


    p.s. I so didn't know u were bio major for a while back at JHU...kind of funny cause u so don't fit the type. (Consider that a compliment)

    ReplyDelete