Wednesday, September 29, 2010

My job would be great if it weren't for the clients

Does anyone out there know a way to keep my clients from lying to me?  I want to know how to get the truth out of these people because it will make my job and their bill much better.  When I ask you questions, I need the whole answer, not what you want me to believe.  As long as you are paying, I am not going to try any harder if I like you than if I don't. The less time I have to spend sorting out what is true from what you are telling me, the smaller your bill will be.  Also, If I am aware of some unfavorable evidence I can prepare for it and think of contradictory facts.  If the first time I see the evidence is at a hearing when it is offered as an exhibit by opposing counsel, then there is almost nothing I can do.

When I ask questions, I am asking what the facts are, not what you think the other side knows.  Similarly, when I ask questions I want to know all the facts, not just the facts you think are important.  I am the attorney; let me decide what is important.

Clients, for the sake of your wallet, do not ask me to do things that you can do yourself.  For example, if we will need bank records for your case, go to the bank and ask for them yourself instead of having me subpoena them. Similarly, do not ask me to speak with people who have confidentiality requirements (Doctors, social workers, etc) without first giving those people information releases.

No comments:

Post a Comment