Sunday, September 19, 2010

One Word: Plastics

I would really like to talk to a plastics expert about the difference in price between cheap flimsy plastics and higher quality more durable plastics.  I have always thought that one of the main benefits of plastics, all plastics, is that they are cheap.  But, there seems to be an incredible difference between the quality of the plastics of premium cars and economy cars.  My old Audi is a great example.  My old A4 was made in 1996 and when I replaced it after nearly 15 years, the dashboard and center console still looked and felt better than the brand new Ford Focus and Nissan Versa that I rented earlier this year.

To me, the interior of a car will always be more important than the exterior.  When I am outside of my car, only very rarely am I looking at it and when I am driving my car, I can't really see its shape at all.  What I can see - and feel - is the interior.  Indeed, unless I am driving very vigorously, the interior design and quality are difficult to get away from.

That brings me to my point.  To me, the main reason I cannot see myself buying a cheaper car than my BMW or my old Audi isn't the snob value their badges bring, or the performance I feel when driving them, but the relaxation I can enjoy even when sitting in a traffic jam.  The interiors of premium cars are simply better than other cars.

But, why?  BMW and Audis are filled with plastics just like Fords and Nissans and, as I said before, plastics are supposed to be cheap.  How much would adding a better quality interior really push up the price?  BMW now has an option ceramic buttons instead of plastic ones.  This is a great idea.  I would gladly buy the Ford Focus I rented in LA if I could get plastics that don't belong in Somali children's toys.  Capitalism is about choice.  Please, Ford, Honda, and Nissan, give me the option of a better interior.

No comments:

Post a Comment