Sunday, January 9, 2011

Canadian Healthcare

Since I was writing about skiing at Whistler last post and my vacation next week is still on my mind, I guess I will continue on that same train of thought.  My last time at Whistler was very memorable, but not for the reasons I would have hoped.  The last time I was in Whistler, I got appendicitis and had to spend three days in the hospital.

I was very satisfied with the Canadian healthcare system.  It was just as fast and effective as American healthcare and much cheaper.  I underwent surgery within a couple hours of my initial visit with a doctor.  To save money, I elected to share a room another patient rather than having a private room.  This made my stay at the hospital much more painful.

The other person in the room was an elderly man with Alzheimer's disease and some kind of bladder problem.  The doctors had to put a catheter in him, and because of his Alzheimer's he didn't know why and forgot what was happening halfway through; that plus the Canadian accent made it hilarious.  After abdominal surgery, laughing hurts really bad.  That was the most painful day of my life. I know, I am a horrible person.   

No comments:

Post a Comment