Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Ironic Job Search

I had an unusually ironic experience today. Early this afternoon, I was speaking with a woman about a job I applied for. The interview was going well until it got near the end and hit a snag. Normally, there is nothing unusual about this; the whole purpose of job interviews is to separate good candidates from exceptional ones. But in this case, the nature of the problem stemmed from something I never expected. I was eliminated from consideration because I am in graduate school.

I had the skills, experience, and, if I can be so bold, personality that they were looking for. But, they needed someone in the next two weeks. Thus, because I will not graduate until May, I am still unemployed. I know that these kinds of things happen, but the whole purpose of getting an education to make it easier to get a job. I never thought that I would be more employable if I dropped out of school.

No comments:

Post a Comment